Since 1977

Since 1977, I have written more than 300 000 kilometers of words, that is to say put end to end, one way trip from Earth to the Moon. Or a second to light for this trip. A second light words in 30 years, some 3 billion signs.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

MY OWN PATH

My most important influence in term of concept in Art and Philosophy came from the Dadaist and the Situationist.I start writing text and manifests, poetry and collective revue, performance and experimental movies. At the beginning of the 70's i was already in search of the possibility to capture space and time with a little pocket camera, some pencils and a typewriter . I was too young to be involved in events, but i succeed to get in places like the Modern Art Museum of Trocadero, The Grand Palais, The Museum d'Histoire naturelle du Jardin des Plantes, Le Musee des Arts Africains et Oceaniens de la porte Doree.I was curious about  anthropology  and topography of the City, the Library and the Bookshops where in the Center of my approach of New Art Models. I was a complete autodidact, and my culture was Mosaic and novice.....I had nobody to ask the way, i made my own path....





As far as I remember myself, i am  and will always deal with space and material.
My work is very close or similar with the work of Archeology. I look at the place i am and try to understand the component , and then the composition. I search for the material and through it understand the history of the space. The second thing is that i love books, or more precisely paper and every printed material....from writings to comics book.
In the early years,  I start to edit kind of fanzine, one copy magazine made of collage and text. My room started to be an Encyclopedia Library of what is possible to find in the street, and the garbage of Paris where very rich of treasure for a creative child. I was not afraid to carry from Opera to La Bastille tones of magazines, books , piece of woods.....my bag was always full.
So i was very aware very early, of what is composition, creation, plastic art...because of an eternal curiosity, i was always finding myself in the Museum, i made friend with some people in Beaubourg and getting free entrance to see exhibition of contemporary Art...I was involved with project dealing with artistic capacity in school and outside....never stop searching, creating, writing and be in communication with this world who became very familiar to me......

My first big work started the 4th of July 1977 and was called "Investigation" by Goumen Produktion.
I was working for a summer job for IBM, and was in contact with the first photocopier.....for one month the copier never stop to work......i was printing everything I found....every text, every picture.....it was a crazy work of copyist, between 1000 to 1500 copies......
After this experience, I was always looking for a job that put me in contact with some printer......

In October or November 1977, in the closet of a friend house, I found my first movie camera...i ask if i can take it and i make my first movie in 8mm, and i never stop still 1998...one movie a week, 20 years of non stop filming in this format.....

Looking for a place to create;
My room was not big enough, so in 1983 I start to investigate the City for a big place, usually abandoned to film, picture, built or create.......in 1985 , in the winter i enter a big factory who was burn down, and without no permission, i start to work in it....after 3 years it became a big Artist factory and i stay in till 1995......my brother continue for ten more years....the place has been demolished one year ago......

So with all those process, i develop my own techniques, accumulate, analysis of the place, creativity and presentation to a public or a different source.....I left behind me, the memory of me; construction, experience, knowledge, solidity.

In fact my conclusion can be the word; Memory.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment